Friday 30 March 2012

Mud? Bring it on.

The very first time I saw this video I knew I had to do it.



My marathoner friend and I joked about trying it out, I think both of us testing each other to see how serious we were. I showed my husband, and his exact words:

"Have fun with that." 

He warmed up after watching the video again (how intense is that video?) and my marathoner friend said she was game too and that was it. We were in.

We talked to some other friends and coworkers and managed to round up a few more mudders. Here is the crack team:

The Marathoner.
She's been killing it on the roads all winter, running through rain and snow, just to get those kilometers in before her big run this spring. She's all about kick-ass motivation. She will be the one on the course making sure everyone gets over every wall.

The Do-It-Yourselfer.
Much like myself (surprise! this one's my brother) this do-it-yourselfer has put together a gym in his basement. Though his is way more professional and cool looking than mine. I asked him once if he was excited about this, and he confessed, "I can't stop thinking about it."

The Adventurer.
He's taking his family down for a vacation the same weekend, and oh, decided to throw in a climb of White Mountain while he was at it. Our adventurer doesn't mind the occasional marathon or living in the woods for 72 hours. Also...biked with Lance Armstrong.

The Jock.
Plays rec hockey and dodgeball. And dodgeball is tough, man, real tough. He pulls out 10k's on the weekends and still manages to fit in trips to the gym and dabbles in some P90X. He's afraid he's going to be the weak link. I don't think so.

The Lifter.
This is the one that said have fun with that. He a bit of a gym rat, benching 365, but recently joined a running group to trim down some of the bulk and prepare for that portion of the course. He's also just discovered a passion for greek yogurt "for the casein".

And me.
I'm lifting weights 4 or 5 times a week (favorite move: stiff-legged deadlift), running twice a week (working up to 15k), doing pilates semi-regularly (to stretch me out) and I swear I am going to be a rock star at pullups by July (aiming for 10...they are super hard.) I've been running regularly for about five years now, and been at the weights for two. Obstacle courses? Not even once.





No comments:

Post a Comment