Saturday 10 August 2013

Week Four: My Pizzas

Pizza on Fridays is the food highlight of my week.

You can imagine my disappointment when I didn't have time to have a pizza this past Friday.

Looking back though, I had some Thai on Tuesday with some friends, and it was so delicious, it totally made up for it. The Pad Thai was made with rice noodles, and the Chicken Curry was served on rice, so no wheat pasta. And it was SO GOOD. And there were leftovers. I could have eaten it ALL.

Between eating out of the house with friends and family a few times this week, not eating at home has left me with a lot of extra veggies in my fridge. I get my veggie box every Friday, so I took some extra veggies to my sister in laws...there was no way I could get through all those veggies before they went bad.

A Typical Wheat Free Day

I know it sounds like I am going on about Thai food and pizza...but I'm really not starving myself. This is what a typical day looks like for me on wheat free:

Breakfast:
Egg (Fried or hardboiled)
A piece of fruit OR a fruit smoothie (frozen fruit, plain greek yogurt, almond milk, ground flax seed and a small bit of protein powder)

Snack:
Apple
Some almonds or mixed nuts

Lunch:
Leftovers from supper the night before (BBQ meat of some sort and veggies)
OR
Salad (sometimes topped with leftover BBQ meat, or tuna salad (tuna, mayo, fresh dill)

Snack:
Yogurt
Almonds or mixed nuts

Supper:
BBQ meat and a salad OR cooked veggies such as carrots, potatoes, beets, kale chips OR raw veggies such as carrots or cucumber

Snack:
Pistachios, cheese, carrot stick dipped in guac, greek yogurt frozen with some peanut butter swirled in, or fruit smoothie if I was feeling hungry and didn't already have one for breakfast

So fairly well rounded, I think. I have to get through a pile of veggies in the run of a week, so my meals HAVE to include them, whether on Wheat Belly or not.

My favorite meal was always the pizza though. It was just so warm and greasy and flavorful.

My Pizzas

The first Friday was the cauliflower crust pizza. This Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe is similar to the one I used. It took a little bit of extra time, and grating cauliflower was messy - pretty sure I pulled some out of my hair when I was done. But it was really good...the consistency wasn't too bad and it didn't taste like a cauliflower. Pretty decadent actually. I'd make this one again. Four stars.

The second Friday was a Potato Crust Pizza similar to the one linked, but with my own pizza toppings. It tasted ok...it didn't stay together as one pizza though. All the slices separated, so it was like a little mini pizza on each slice of potato. Like a cross between nachos and stuffed potato skins. It was ok. Three stars.

The third Friday was a Cream Cheese Crust Pizza which was fantastic and delicious and decadent and wonderful. And not something I could eat every week. It was that good. It was similar in consistency to a regular thin crust pizza, but rich and cheesy. The recipe even says not to top the pizza with too much cheese, as the crust is entirely cheese. I would definitely make this one again. Five stars.
My iPhotography does not do Cream Cheese Crust Pizza justice.

My 30 Day experiment ends on Tuesday, and I have to make a decision: do I go back on wheat? Or stay off it? Or slowly wean back on? Or just limit it? I'm thinking I might stay away from it ... I definitely notice less tummy bloat, which I really like. And what is the point of trying it for 30 days and just going back on wheat? Kind of makes the past month pointless. I've already proven to myself I can do it.

Or I might stay on it so I have an excuse to eat Cream Cheese Crust Pizza again. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment